Dr. Roberto Gallardo is well-known from Guatemala throughout the Americas, as a leading authority in minimally invasive laparoscopic surgery, and the emerging field of mini-laparoscopy. Since the beginning of his private practice in 1990, Dr. Gallardo has performed over 6500 laparoscopic surgeries, with 2250 of them being the “mini-laparoscopy” technique, thus confirming his status as a leader in the Latin American medical community. There are only 50-100 surgeons in the world using this advanced surgical method. Due to his exceptional standing in the field, Dr. Gallardo has been a distinguished guest speaker and educator at over 85 medical conventions, seminars, and symposia around the world, since the 1980’s.
Dr Gallardo says, “I’m probably more well-known abroad than in Guatemala. This is because I try to ensure that my patients have the best care with the best technology, so I am constantly updating myself through seminars in other countries. I was originally studying robotic and single-port surgery, which evolved into doing mini-laparoscopy.”
Minimally Invasive Surgery has grown quickly in coverage and demand. A procedure that was initially conceived to perform cholecystectomy (removal of the gallbladder) was extended to almost all surgical specialties and includes many procedures. It has become a state of art surgical method in less than ten countries around the world – Guatemala, Brazil, Mexico, and others, but not so much in the United States. The doctor explains, “Fortunately, in our beloved Guatemala, we have managed to be at the forefront with these advances that have led to the new concepts regarding minimally invasive surgery.”
At Mini-Invasive Surgery Group of Guatemala, we are pioneers of this technique in Central America, with four years of high success rates and satisfied patients. In fact, global producers of the specialized medical instrumentation we use are looking to Grupo Mini-Cirugia to be the evaluators of their precision equipment. The German company, Gimmi, introduced a masterclass of surgical devices, and they work with our group to establish sustained growth of advanced surgical procedures in Guatemala. At Vitamex, we are the KOL’s, or Key Opinion Leaders, that evaluate and direct the company to modify and develop their instrumentation to meet our needs. This collaboration will benefit the local population, plus the medical travelers from North America who demand superior quality and know we can provide it for them in Guatemala.
Many surgeons still get the same successful results with conventional abdominal surgery, but Dr. Gallardo’s team takes it a few steps beyond, to reduce the need for post-operative pain management and to leave the surgical site with almost no scar at all. Consider how other technologies have evolved in the last twenty years. These days, laparoscopic procedures can be done more successfully with medical instruments one one-hundredth (1/100) the size of a surgeon’s hand, only 2.0-3.5mm across. Tiny incisions allow for instruments, cameras, and lights to enter the body and make repairs with minimal disruption to the skin, muscles and surrounding tissue. Without the large incisions and resulting wounds, the body heals much more quickly and efficiently, causing little or no pain for the patient.
Dr. Cesar Paz and Dr. Hector Sagastume are integral contributors to Dr. Gallardo’s surgical team at “Cirugia-Mini”, the Mini Invasive Surgery Group of Guatemala. They have recently welcomed a new surgeon to the group, Dr. Oscar Alejandro Palma Escobar. Dr Gallardo says, “We have been following his career with great interest since the beginning. Dr. Palma has demonstrated outstanding skills in Mini-Invasive surgery, focused on gastrointestinal and endo luminal, which complement our goals, as a surgical group. Working together, they are dedicated to staying on the cutting edge of laparoscopic techniques, and developing better methods, based on extensive research and experience.
Even in a common procedure such as hernia repair, Dr. Gallardo must make the decision about which technique will give them optimal results. “We take into account a series of objective criteria then compare the different options to determine what method we should choose. We base our decision on the gold standards of protocols for the procedure, then adjust as needed.”
A hernia occurs when the inner walls of the abdominal muscle weaken, resulting in a bulge or tear. Sometimes the inner lining passes through the weakened area of the abdominal wall, forming an external sac and causing severe pain. Hernia repair is a common procedure in both men and women, performed regularly by Dr. Gallardo with high success rates, near zero complications and short hospital stays. In cases of inguinal hernia, in the groin; umbilical, in the naval; or operational, at a previous surgical incision, laparoscopic repair technique means there are no sutures, and therefore no scars.
Dr. Gallardo says, “The patients who are most successful under my care are those who can let go and trust that everything will be fine. I am a perfectionist, extremely careful. And, when patients take an active interest in their own health and devote the same careful attention to their recovery, then we have the best possible outcome.”
Grupo de Cirugía Mini Laparoscópica de Guatemala. Mini-Laparoscopic Surgery Group
- Fundador, Director Médico, 2009 a la fecha. Medical Director and Founder, 2009 to present.
Hospital Nuestra Señora del Pilar, Guatemala
- Fundador y cabez de uno de los grupos de la Unidad de Cirugia Video Laparoscopica, 2003-2009. Founder and Head Surgeon of one of the groups in the Video Laparoscopic Unit, 2003-2009.
- Cirujano Titular, desde 1994. Head Surgeon since 1994.
- Departamento de Cirugía General, Laparoscopía, Cirugía Mini Laparoscópica y Video-endoscopía. Department of General Surgery, Laparoscopy and Endoscopy.
Asociación de Cirujanos de Guatemala. Association of Surgeons of Guatemala
- Congresos Nacionales 2012, 2013, 2014, hasta la fecha
- Publicación en la revista: Experiencia de la Cirugía Mini-Laparoscópica en Guatemala, 2012.
- Taller de Códigos Internacionales, 2012
- Presidente de 2008-2011
- Secretario, 2001-2011
- Profesor Invitado, XXXIV Congreso Nacional, Guatemala, 2007
- Coordinador de Comité de Cirugía Laparoscópica, 2000-2004
- Tesoro, 2004-2005
- Congreso Nacional de Medicina en Guatemala, 1983-2000
- Encargado de Finanzas, 1998-2001
- Vocal, Junta Directiva, 1997-1998
- Miembro, Comite Editorial, 1997-1998
- Sub-Coordinador, Comité de trabajos libres, 1990-1991
Hospital General San Juan de Dios de Guatemala
- Reconocimiento por su colaboración con el Departamento de Cirugía, 2010. Recognition for collaboration with the department of surgery, 2010
Colegio de Médicos y Cirujanos de Guatemala Guatemalan College of Physicians and Surgeons
- Congresos Nacionales, 2010 hasta la fecha.
- Reconocimiento como Especialista en Cirugía General e inscrito en el libro de Especialistas, 1992. Board Certified Specialist in General Surgery, 1992.
Instituto Guatemalteco de Seguridad Social – IGSS, Departamento de Cirugía
- Elaboración de un Protocolo de Manejo de Apendicitis Aguda, 1989. Development of Management Protocols for Acute Appendicitis, 1989.
- Cirugía General, 1986-1996. General Surgeon, 1986-1996.
North America, Europe – América del Norte, Europa
Society of Laparo-Endoscopic Surgeons – SLS, Miami, Florida
- TED Talks, Invited Guest Speaker, Cuzco, Peru, 2018
- TED Talks, Invited Guest Presenter, and the only representative from Central America: Surgery Week, San Francisco, 2017. Chosen “Best of the Program” Profesor Invitado del Congreso y el único de Centroamérica, San Francisco, CA, 2017
- Minimally Invasive Surgery Seek Attendee, New York City, 2015
- TED Talks, Invited Guest Speaker, NYC, 2015
- Chinese – America Summit for Minimally – Invasive Surgery, Harbin, China, 2015
- Author of Journal article: “Mini Laparoscopy Gaining Adherents as Instruments Continue to Improve.” By Dr. Roberto Gallardo, 2015.
- Invited Guest Instructor: Minimally Invasive Surgery Week, Las Vegas, 2014
- Member of the International Advisory Board, 2011 to present. Miembro de la Junta Internacional de Consejos, 2011 a la fecha
- Multi-Specialty Summit, Orlando, 2009
- Honorary Chair, Boston, MA, USA, 2009
- Recognition for work in Continuing Education of laparoscopic surgery in Latin America, 2008. Reconocimiento por la labor de Educación Médica Continua en Cirugía Laparoscópica, 2008.
Gastroenterology Center of San Antonio – GCSA. Texas, USA
Florida Hospital Nicholson Center, Robotic Medicine Center
- Euro-American Multi Specialty Summit, 2015
Washington University School of Medicine, in conjunction with the Asociación de Cirujanos Oncológicas de Guatemala.
- Second Annual Congress of Cancer Surgeons, Guatemala, 2012
Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons – SAGES
- International Member since 2009
American College of Surgeons, Division of Education
- 94th Annual Clinical Congress, San Francisco, USA, 2008
- 93rd Annual Clinical Congress, New Orleans, USA, 2007
Mt. Sinai Research Center and Palmetto Hospital, Miami, Florida
- Advanced Procedures in Video Endoscopy, 1995
- Basic course in Video Laparoscopy, 1994
Latin America – America Latina
Asociación Internacional para la Capacitación e Investigación Médica – IOCIM.org. International Association for Medical Training and Research. Pero 2017
- Expositor: Concepto, Realidad y Futuro de la Cirugía Mini laparoscópica. Guest speaker: The Concept, reality and Future of Mini laparoscopic Surgery, Panama, 2017
- Ganador de premio: “El mejor y más destacado profesional de la salud en su especialidad”, de 60 participantes, 2015 & 2016. Award winner:” The best and most outstanding medical professional in his specialty” out of 60 participants, 2015 & 2016
Asociación de Argentina de Cirugía
- Expositor Invitado, TED Talks, de Cirugía Mini-Laparoscópica, 2018
- Profesor Invitado, Congreso Argentino de Cirugía, Buenos Aires, 2005 a 2015
Asociación Latinoamericana de Cirugía Endoscópica – ALACE
- Profesor Invitado, Panamá, 2014
- Profesor Invitado, XIII Congreso Mundial, Puerto Vallarta, México, 2012
- Presidente de Junta Directiva, 2008-2011
- Profesor Invitado, IX Congreso, Salvador de Bahía, Brasil, 2010
- Profesor Invitado, congreso, Lima, Perú, 2010
- Vicepresidente 2004-2008
- Profesor Invitado, VIII congreso, Guatemala, 2008
- Profesor Invitado Congreso Chileno, Santiago de Chile, 2007
- Profesor Invitado, Congreso Nacional, Miami, 2006
- Representante de Guatemala y Vocal, Junta Directiva, 2000-2004
- Profesor Invitado, Congreso Nacional, Buenos Aires, 2002
Asociación Mexicana de Cirugía Endoscópica
- Fundador y Coordinador del Capítulo de Guatemala, 1999- la fecha. Founder and Coordinator of the Guatemalan Chapter.
- Instructor invitado en el Programa Académico, Acapulco, 2017
- Reconocimiento por aportación y contribución al desarrollo de la Cirugía Endoscópica en México XXII Congreso Internacional de Cirugía Endoscópica, Veracruz, México, 2014 Recognition for contribution to development of endoscopic surgery, Mexico, 2014
- Reconocimiento por notable y destacada participación en el XXII Congreso Internacional de Cirugía Endoscópica, Sinaloa, México, 2013. Recognition for outstanding participation at the 22nd annual conference of endoscopic surgery, Mexico, 2013
- Congreso Internacional de Cirugia Endoscopica, 1995
Congreso Cubano e Internacional de Cirugía Endoscópica
- Asistente, Habana Cuba, 2001.
Federacion de Cirugia de Centroamerica y Panama
- Presidente, Junta Directiva, 2008-2010
Federación Latinoamericano de Cirugía – FELAC
- Prosecretario Organizador, 1994-1997
Sociedad Paraguaya de Cirugia
- Profesor Invitado, IV Congreso, Asuncion, Paraguay, 2008
- Miembro Honorario Internacional
To see the complete Curriculum Vitae in PDF format, Click Here.
Universidad de Pernambuco, Recife Brasil
- Sub-Especialidad en Cirugía Mini Laparoscópica, un campo medico emergente desde 2009. Sub-Specialty in Mini Laparoscopy, an emerging medical field since 2009.
Asociacion Mexicana de Cirugia de al Obesidad
- Curso Especial de Cirugía Video endoscópica, 2000. Special Course in Video Endoscopic Surgery, 2000.
- Curso Internacional de Banda Gástrica, 1999. International Course in Gastric Band Surgery. 1999
- Curso Teórico Practico de Cirugía de Obesidad, 1997. Course in Theoretical Practice of Surgery to Treat Obesity, 1997.
Asociación Latinoamericana de Cirugía Endoscópica, Educación Continua
- Cirugía de Obesidad Mórbida. Surgery for Morbid Obesity, Cancun, 2004
- Cirugia de Colon, Colon Surgery, Cancun, 2004
- Colocación de Lapband para Manejo de Obesidad Mórbida, Guatemala, 2001. Lap Band Placement for the Management of Morbid Obesity, 2001
Universidad de Veracruz, México
- Curso Avanzado de Enfermedad por Reflujo Gastroesofágico, 1997
Instituto Guatemalteco de Seguridad Social – IGSS, Departamento de Cirugía
- Jefe de Cirugía Endoscópica, 1995-1996. Chief of Endoscopic Surgery
- Jefe de Servicio, Hospital General de Enfermedad Común, 1992-1996
- Cirujano Adjunto, Clínica de Tumores, 1992-1995
- Profesor Auxiliar, 1990-1993
- Medico Encargado 1991-1992
- Jefe de Residentes. 1990-1991
- Residente de Cirugía, 1986-1990
Universidad de Francisco Marroquín, Facultad de Medicina, Guatemala – UFM Medical School
- Sub-Especialización en Cirugía Endoscópica, 1992
- Reconocimiento Universitario como Cirujano General, 1991. University recognition as a general surgeon, 1991.
- Licenciatura en Medicina y Cirugía 1981-1985. Medical Degree, 1985
Come back soon to read about the latest treatment methods that this doctor finds most interesting.
As expected, the chief of laparoscopic surgery must be at the top of his game every minute of the day, and give 110% attention in serious situations, saving lives at a moment’s notice. To eliminate the stress and maintain a calm, centered focus, Dr. Gallardo enjoys creating Bonsai and caring for saltwater and tropical fish, in his personal time. Away from Guatemala City, he visits oceanfront and island destinations because they present an opportunity to learn about the history and architecture of the area.
Music, meditation and reading enrich the soul, just like athletics and tennis strengthen the body. Dr. Roberto Gallardo has a gift for balancing the intensity of surgical devotion with the inner peace of delicate nurturing, physical challenge and spiritual introspection.
Please write to us about your experience with the doctor in the “Comments” section below. Other patients will be interested to know more about the doctor’s skill, experience, ethics and personal attention, as they resulted in your successful outcome.
Thank you, Dr. Gallardo for making sure I had minimal pain and that my recovery was so simple. Thanks to your experience and training in Minimally Invasive Surgery I managed to reach the goals that I had outside the country, only two days after surgery. Thanks for the love, for the excellent attention and early diagnosis that you conducted yourself! This procedure allowed quick recovery, and with minimal scarring, it was excellent for me.
Yaniri Kastillo, Guatemala, 2018
You are a one-in-a-million doctor! Dr. Roberto Gallardo, besides being an excellent doctor is also an amazing person. From the first second, I felt calm and I knew it was the doctor with whom I had to have my surgery. I had the surgery at 7:30 and was walking around like nothing happened at 10:00. I highly recommend mini-surgery because it’s so awesome.
Thanks a million for taking such good care of me!
Marinés de Portillo, 2017
Thankful and very happy !! The procedure is 100% recommended, recovery was quite fast and painless. All the staff of the Mini Surgery Team is incredible, very professional, understanding, attentive and loving especially Dr. Gallardo who, beyond being an excellent surgeon, has a very special human quality. Without a doubt, I would not have changed a thing. Keep up this excellent work and thank you very much for making me feel so much better !!
Claudia Sánchez, Guatemala 2018
I am so appreciative and happy after my surgery. The scar is invisible – Incredible!! I hope God continues to bless those hands.
Brenda de Gándara, 2018
Excellent surgical performance by Dr. Gallardo. The procedure allows for quick recovery and scars are minimal. Very grateful for your timely intervention.
Ana Paula Miranda, 2017
Excellent work. My recovery was really fast, and Dr Gallardo is an exceptional professional and human being.
Katy Villatoro, 2018
Dr. Roberto Gallardo: I’m so grateful to you for your excellent surgical procedure. Jesús de Candelaria will continue to give you the wisdom and intelligence to carry out your work successfully. My most sincere congratulations for your professionalism and delivery. Totally recommend your work. As a colleague told me, he would chose to have surgery with Dr Gallardo, with his eyes closed.
Angélica Maria Romero, 2017
Many thanks to Dr. Roberto Gallardo for a magnificent job in my surgical procedure. An example of professionalism, dedication and devotion to your patients. I feel terrific, and my recovery has been very pleasant. I totally recommend it and I am completely grateful.
Juan Rodrigo Solares Larrave, 2017
Peer Reviews From Other Doctors
Read here what other doctors have to say about this doctor.
Charity, Public Service, Donations
Public service and caring for the less fortunate is a way of life in the Latin American culture.
Many religious communities and congregations in Guatemala can depend on the generosity of Dr. Gallardo to offer his skills and attention to the special cases of families in need.
Patient Success Stories
Every patient has different circumstances and expectations. We will tell you about an interesting and unusual case that the doctor was able to turn around with unexpectedly outstanding results.